Quick search

University route

Taking the university route gives you the opportunity to learn the theory and pedagogy of teaching, paired with school placements, while working towards achieving your PGCE.



If you are a graduate (in any discipline), you may opt to train via a university course. University-led courses run full-time over one year, or part-time over two years. All courses lead to qualified teacher status (QTS) and a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE).



You need a degree if you want to train to be a teacher in England. You can gain a degree and qualified teacher status (QTS) together on a three- or four-year course, combining academic study with learning practical classroom skills.


How to apply

Search and apply for a training programme via UCAS Teacher Training.

Sign up to receive a free UCAS Teacher Training Pack here.

How you thought about distance learning? The University of Northumbria now offers a 2 year part-time distance learning PGCE programme. Find out more details here.


Financial support

There is lots of financial support available to help fund university-led training. Depending on your degree class and the subject you want to teach, you could be eligible for a generous tax-fee bursary or scholarship. If not, you’ll still have access to a tuition fee and maintenance loan to cover your training.


For more information, visit Get into Teaching