Consultant in Public Health Medicine
We are looking for an enthusiastic and dynamic Consultant to join our strong, well established public health team in Buckinghamshire. You will play a major role in providing public health advice on health care commissioning to our local clinical commissioning group and portfolios within the council especially around population health management and long term conditions. You will also make a significant contribution to the Joint Strategic Needs Assessment, the Health and Wellbeing Strategy and provide public health advice to Transport, Economy and Environment (TEE) portfolios.
Bucks County Council is at the heart of the community delivering essential services seven days a week, all year round to over half million plus residents, businesses and visitors. Touching the lives of everyone, the Council provides over 100 services from childcare to countryside parks, schools to social care and from roads to the registry office. From over 500 different locations, more than 10,000 employees work hard to meet the challenge of delivering outstanding service across a portfolio of services.
About the role
You will be an inspirational leader with excellent analytical and technical skills as well as excellent communication and interpersonal skills to command the confidence of clinicians, council members and officers. Buckinghamshire has a population of more than 500,000 and although generally healthy and wealthy, there are significant challenges with considerable differences in life expectancy across the county. Buckinghamshire County Council is an exciting and innovative place to work and has embraced the public health agenda .There is excellent joint work between the NHS, county council and district partners as we strive to do the best for our population. In Buckinghamshire, two CCGs merged recently to become one Buckinghamshire CCG and have a number of active voluntary sector organisations.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Public health specialist registrar and specialist trainee applicants who are not yet on the GMC Specialist Register/GDC Specialist List in dental public health/UKVR must provide verifiable signed documentary evidence that they are within 6 months of gaining entry at the date of interview ; all other applicants must provide verifiable signed documentary evidence that they have applied for inclusion in the GMC/GDC/UKVR specialist registers.
- Applicants must meet minimum CPD requirements (i.e. be up to date) in accordance with Faculty of Public Health requirements or other recognised body
- High level of understanding of epidemiology and statistics, public health practice, health promotion, health economics and health care evaluation.
- High standards of professional probity
- Able to prioritise work, and work well against a background of change and uncertainty
- Understanding of local authorities and social services
Please see job description for further information.
The department is based in Buckinghamshire County Council offices in Aylesbury.
Salary (£79,906 - £88,695).
Informal discussions and visits to the department are welcomed. Please contact Dr Jane O’Grady, Director of Public Health on Tel: 01296 387623 or Tracy Ironmonger Assistant Director of Public Health on Tel: 01296 387144
Applications must be made via: Buckinghamshire County Council Job website and please send a CV (in addition to your online application)
Closing date: 13 May 2018
Interview date: June 2018 (week starting on 4th)
Email to a friend