Work Experience with Buckinghamshire County Council
Our Work Experience Programme is designed to give you a taster of what it's like to work in local government and a chance to develop valuable skills and knowledge.
We will give you the opportunity to:
- Gain insight into your chosen area at Buckinghamshire County Council
- Shadow a range of people working in your area to understand more about their roles
- Ask questions to find out more about a career in local government
- Build your knowledge of the public sector
Placements can be up to 2 weeks long and are usually unpaid.
If you feel that you come under the exemptions for unpaid work experience as stated here, please include this in your application.
If you choose to do a work experience placement at BCC, you'll benefit from:
- Real world experience in the job you are interested in
- The opportunity to explore career options to help you make more informed choices
- Contacts for future networking
- Experience that you can add to your CV and help you stand out to future prospective employers
- Gaining confidence
- Getting first-hand insight into a large public sector organisation
About the role
We currently have work experience opportunities in the following teams:
- Highways Development Management
- School Admissions and Transport
- Business Support
- Finance Operations
- Strategic HR
- Technology Services
- Regeneration and Major Property Projects
- Community Engagement and Development
- Early Years Services
- Digital Services
For detailed information on each department, click here.
We will consider all applications, but our work experience scheme is best suited to:
- Students of statutory school age (Year 10+)
- Post 16 students
- Currently we can only support placements up to 2 weeks long.
- Whilst we will try our best to accommodate you, please be aware that placements cannot be guaranteed.
- If you are interested in doing work experience with a team not listed above, please get in touch with us to talk this through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does BCC offer internships and longer term placements?
At BCC, we are keen to develop our work experience programme to be the best that it can be. Currently we can only offer shorter placements of a maximum of 2 weeks in length. We do hope to eventually offer longer placements and internships, so be sure to check the jobs site from time to time for any updates.
Are work experience placements paid or unpaid?
Generally our 1 – 2 week work experience placements are unpaid. If you feel you may come under the exemptions for unpaid work experience (details found here http://bit.ly/2QuDsH6), please state this in your application form.
How quickly after applying will I be able to start my placement?
Whilst our Resourcing team will aim to get back to you about your placement as soon as possible, we advise that your requested placement start date is between 4 weeks and 6 months after the date that you send your application. This is to ensure that there is plenty of time for us to process your application and create a placement that is tailored to suit you.
Can I apply at any time of year?
We do take applications all year round, but please bear in mind that placements are limited, and some teams may not be able to offer placements at certain times of the year, especially during busier working periods. It may also be more difficult to place you over Christmas and New Year.
- Detailed Departments for Work Experience (PDF Document)