This is a great opportunity to work in a large Human Resources Department, gaining experience across the busy services of payroll, pensions and HR operations. You will combine work-based training along with achieving an intermediate (Level 2) or advanced (Level 3) Apprenticeship qualification in Business Administration.
Buckinghamshire County Council is one of the largest employers in the county, so we can guarantee full exposure to a range of HR teams, immersing you in the world of HR and payroll.
You will benefit from working in an HR service with over 100 members of staff, including a number of other apprentices. This is a fantastic opportunity for the next generation of HR and payroll practitioner.
Buckinghamshire County Council is at the heart of the community delivering essential services seven days a week, all year round to over half million residents, businesses and visitors. Touching the lives of everyone, the Council provides over 100 services from childcare to countryside parks, schools to social care and from roads to the registry office. From over 500 different locations, more than 14,000 employees work hard to meet the challenge of delivering outstanding service across a range of services.
About the role
- Assist the HR Assistants with administering starters, leavers and changes to terms and conditions to include salary adjustments, changes to working hours, job titles/line managers and location.
- Assist with employee/manager related queries in a timely way and with accuracy.
- Help provide clarity on the customer query so that the right question(s) is answered.
- Support with enquiry calls as the first responder, escalating calls where necessary to the most appropriate person/team.
- Communicate effectivity via phone calls and managing face to face conversations in a professional, personable and customer service focused manner.
- Assist with completion of standard documentation including, but not restricted to, reference requests, standard contract and offer letters, Right to Work checks, absence paperwork and updates to the HR system.
- Ensure workflow emails received into the HR Services inbox are checked and actioned accordingly.
- Ensure that the Council’s procedures and best practice are followed.
- Help ensure all systems are up to date and all inputs are accurate and timely.
- Help ensure all files are saved in a timely manner to the electronic filing system.
- Work as part of the team to meet goals and deliver a consistently high level of accuracy and customer experience.
- Complete development rotations across all areas of HR, in line with apprenticeship qualification to maximise learning, this will include Payroll, Pensions, Employee Relations and HR Operations.
- Complete studies to support this apprenticeship programme.
- Be familiar with and adhere to all relevant Council policies and procedures at all times.
- Any other duties as reasonably required in line with skills, knowledge and experience to contribute to the council’s success.
- Payroll, Pensions & Finance
- Senior Employee Relations Staff
- Learning and Development Team
- Organisational Development
- Resourcing Consultants
- HR Systems and Data Team
- The delivery of a world class service to the organisation by responding to queries and providing HR & Payroll support in a timely and customer-centric environment.
- Delivery of a consistently high standard of work to the organisation including accurate data, letter production and payroll processing.
- Completion of HR Projects as part of the HR plan and to support apprenticeship learning.
- Building good relationships with colleges customers.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, with understanding of Word and Excel.
- Good customer service skills.
- Good organisation skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Confidence using the telephone.
- The ability to converse with ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post (Code of Practice: English language provision for public sector workers 2016).
- A desire to deliver customer service and have an appreciation of others’ priorities.
- A desire to develop within HR and become an HR professional through both personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn and undertake a range of different tasks when required.
- A real team player who is reliable and trustworthy.
Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship - Qualified to Level 1 or above in Literacy and Numeracy (GCSE grades A*-G/9-1 or equivalent).
Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship - Qualified to Level 1 or above in Literacy and Numeracy (GCSE grades A* - C/9-4 or equivalent), or Level 2 Intermediate Apprenticeship Qualification.
• Possible Starting date: 1st January 2019• Duration of Apprenticeship: Approximately 15 or 18 months, depending on Level undertaken.• Weekly wage: £140.23/ week (Plus you are also eligible to 50% off of Arriva bus travel, 34% off of Chiltern Railways services and a range of discounts through our Employee Benefits scheme.)• Reality Check:• This is a full time position working a 37 hour week Monday to Friday.• Our apprenticeship roles are on a fixed term contract for the duration of the apprenticeship. Level 2 is usually for about 15 months; Level 3 is usually for about 18 months.
• Contact: Lee Pound - Head of HR Operations - firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01296 383029
We recognise and reward you
We cannot guarantee a permanent position following completion of the apprenticeship; however this is a great opportunity that will provide you with a firm foundation in Human Resources.
- 01)Apprentice JD - PPO Final (Microsoft Word Document)