Highways Development Management Trainee Technician
We are offering a Trainee Technician opportunity in the Highways Development Management planning team.
Buckinghamshire County Council is entering one of the most exciting periods of change in its history. We’re looking to become a more agile, commercial and digitally-focussed organisation. The aim? To benefit our residents and shape our county for the future. With substantial investment in place, we now need people who are determined to make this transformation happen.
About the role
As a Trainee Technician with the Highways Development Management team, you will assist Officers in the provision of technical and administrative support. The Highways Development Management team provides an efficient and flexible service to the public, developers and local planning authorities in advising on highway and transport issues in Development Management. As a responsible Highway Authority we must ensure that any new development has the minimum adverse impact on highway safety, traffic capacity, environmental capacity and convenience to transport users as a whole.
Duties will include :
- Build and maintain good working relationships and communicate well with all customers and colleagues
- To manage and co-ordinate Highways Development Management team email inboxes
- To book in and assign Planning Applications in the UNIFORM database and book out in a timely manner
- Respond to requests for Pre Applications and raise invoices, keeping income spreadsheets up to date
- To assist with the provision of technical highway and transportation advice on pre-application enquiries
- To assist with the provision of statutory planning consultation response on behalf of the county council giving professional advice to Districts and County Council Planning Authority within statutory timeframes on minor applications
- To organise, attend and take notes from meetings for the Highways Development Management Team
- Provide a consistent and accurate level of service with particular regard given to recording and reporting of management information. To actively contribute to information systems, in relation to key business information and National Indicators.
This is an entry role, suitable for a school leaver or somebody looking for a change in career.
Excellent communication skills are a must, as is the confidence to articulate and express your own views to colleagues, developers and Local Planning Authorities.
You’ll be keen to develop new skills and knowledge in the field of Highways Development Management. The opportunity to undertake an approved Transport Planning Apprenticeship qualification will be available for the successful applicant. You will harness your organisational skills to process a variety of data into readily understandable outputs. This may be to tight timescales, so an ability to work under pressure is essential.
Where our roles are customer-facing and you are required to speak to members of the public, the ability to converse at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the role.
Interviews will be held on 29th / 30th October 2018.
For further information please see the job descriptions attached. This is a career graded post.
Ambitious. Accountable. Caring. Collaborative.
Our values are what make our culture at BCC unique and we expect all our people to live them in their approach. Ambitious. We want people with a strong desire and determination to succeed. Accountable. Our people take pride in owning actions and decisions. It’s all about using our resources wisely and recognising that the public money we use is all going towards a better future. Caring. We’re people, working for people. Being caring, kind and supportive is intrinsic. Collaborative. Working in a team, sharing ideas and knowledge only means positive things. By creating more effective solutions together, we are able to deliver better outcomes to the county as a whole.
About the business unit
The future of our county's environment and infrastructure is in your hands. Buckinghamshire - one of the fastest growing economies in the UK - is facing an exciting period of major growth. Our aim is to manage the major growth pressures within Buckinghamshire in a tough financial climate. Commercial and innovative, we are developing policies that strike the right balance between environment protection and growth. We’re adopting innovative solutions to service delivery and growth. We partner with businesses and community sectors in virtually everything we do; playing to the strengths of these sectors to deliver first class services to our customers.
We recognise and reward you
Hard work and success deserves recognition. That’s why we pride ourselves on the benefits we give our people. Everything from a good work-life balance and flexible working to discounted public transport and sports centre membership.
- 01)Highways Development Management Trainee Technic (3) (Microsoft Word Document)